The general public may say they are depressed in a casual manner. For those who suffer with severe clinical depression, the experience can have devastating effects on them and those close to them.
Clinical depression is characterized by symptoms including:
- A sense of hopelessness, worthlessness or despair
- Loss of interest in most or all activities
- Significant changes in appetite and weight, either losing or gaining in a short period of time
- An inability to sleep, or the drive to sleep all the time
- Diminished ability to concentrate, make decisions or experience any type of pleasure,
- Loss of energy, and for some, recurrent thoughts of suicide.
Untreated clinical depression can lead to complications such as drug or alcohol addiction, poor performance at work or in school, social isolation, diminished physical health and fractured personal relationships. Post-Partum, and Seasonal Affective Disorder also fall within the spectrum of Clinical Depression.
Fortunately, we know that the appropriate combination therapy, and in some cases, medication, brings significant relief to those who are suffering. At Wellspring Counseling, treatment for depression and other issues, are tailored to the individual, and, if indicated, referrals for medication to supplement therapy may be recommended.